We are currently looking for a Director of Banquets to join our team at the legendary Queen Mary. Located in the Port of Long Beach, the Queen Mary features a rich maritime history, authentic Art Deco décor, and stunning views of the Pacific Ocean and Long Beach city skyline. At the time of her maiden voyage in May of 1936, she was considered the grandest ocean liner ever built. Today the Queen Mary is one of Los Angeles’ major attractions, drawing visitors from around the world. The Queen Mary boasts 346 staterooms spanning three decks including nine full suites which have hosted a variety of colorful characters from World War II leaders to British royalty and the stars of Hollywood’s golden era. The ship also features 80,000 square feet of event space in 17 remarkable Art Deco salons as well as a tri-level, 45,000-square-foot Exhibit Hall; signature restaurants including the award-winning Sir Winston’s and Chelsea Chowder House & Bar; and a selection of retail shops. History buffs enjoy the ship’s museum and Behind the Scenes tour, while guests of all ages love the Ghosts and Legends tour and special events such as Scottish Festival, Dark Harbor, and concerts that are hosted on or by the ship throughout the year.
As the Director of Banquets, you’ll be responsible for leading the banquet service operations to achieve customer satisfaction, quality service and compliance with policies and procedures while meeting/exceeding financial goals.
Key responsibilities of the Director of Banquets position include:
- Supervising the daily operations of the banquets team to ensure compliance with the banquet event orders, safety regulations and procedures and to ensure an optimal level of service, quality and hospitality
- Working closely with the culinary, catering and event service management teams to ensure flow of service
- Maintaining service standards while overseeing captains, service staff, and the housemen
- Hiring and training banquet staff to serve at various scheduled events
- Overseeing compliance with health and safety standards
- Resolving any guest problems and/or concerns
- Supervising the set up of function rooms to include placement of linens, silver, china, and glassware according to event order specifications
- Inspecting function rooms and equipment prior to the functions for cleanliness, proper inventory and set up
- Monitoring and controlling the maintenance/sanitation of the banquet areas and equipment
- Communicating effectively, giving direction, support, timely feedback and recognition of performance
- Assigning and coordinating all schedules for the banquet team
- Monitoring and reviewing labor reports
The ideal Director of Banquets will have a minimum of four years of banquet/conference set up as well
as banquet bar experience. The minimum qualifications for this position are:
- Minimum of 21 years of age to handle alcoholic beverages
- Minimum of 4 years banquet manager experience in a high volume property
- Proven success in a high quality operation
- Experience with both banquet front of the house as well as banquet back of the house activities
- Ability to effectively direct and motivate staff to ensure the smooth and efficient operations of
- the Banquet department.
- Basic knowledge of food and beverage preparations, service standards, guest relations and
- Knowledge of appropriate table settings and service ware
- Ability to take initiative and ownership to resolve problems
- Ability to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy
- Ability to stand, walk and move around during entire shift
- Ability to handle stressful situations in a calm, professional manner
- Must have the ability to communicate clearly and directly with guests using a positive, clear
- speaking voice
- Must have the ability to work with guests and respond immediately and accurately to their
- needs and requirements
- Ability to multi-task and oversee multiple functions at once
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Micros and Microsoft Office essential
- Multiple language abilities preferred. Fluency in English required and Spanish desired
- Must be willing and have the ability to work a varied schedule that may include evenings,
- nights, and weekends
- Must have a valid Certified Food Handlers Card or be capable of obtaining one
- Must have a valid alcohol awareness certification or be capable of obtaining certification
Headquartered in Orange County, CA, Evolution Hospitality is one of the top privately-owned hotel management companies in the US. Evolution Hospitality has a well-defined vision, a strong sense of values and guiding principles, and a long-range, quality-minded approach to business. From unassuming beginnings with a single property, today Evolution Hospitality is recognized as a first-class operator of hotels.
We are proud to offer candidates a dynamic career, personal growth, a strong tradition of mutual trust, integrity and an opportunity to make an impact on the business. Simply put, it means that it feels a bit different to work here. We are universally driven by our fundamental values and beliefs. At Evolution Hospitality, all associates are selected and evaluated on two criteria equally: results and culture. Honesty and humility are equally important as intellect and ability, and each member of the team embraces the challenge of becoming a better human being, both personally and professionally, as part of the package. Superstars are those individuals that not only create value for the company but also genuinely embrace and live Evolution Hospitality’s unique culture.
Are you ready to evolve? If you are interested in establishing a solid career and taking giant strides in personal growth, Evolution Hospitality is just the family you’re looking for.