We are currently looking for a Attractions Manager to join our team at the legendary Queen Mary. Located in the Port of Long Beach, the Queen Mary features a rich maritime history, authentic Art Deco décor, and stunning views of the Pacific Ocean and Long Beach city skyline. At the time of her maiden voyage in May of 1936, she was considered the grandest ocean liner ever built. Today the Queen Mary is one of Los Angeles’ major attractions, drawing visitors from around the world. The Queen Mary boasts 346 staterooms spanning three decks including nine full suites which have hosted a variety of colorful characters from World War II leaders to British royalty and the stars of Hollywood’s golden era. The ship also features 80,000 square feet of event space in 17 remarkable Art Deco salons as well as a tri-level, 45,000-square-foot Exhibit Hall; signature restaurants including the award-winning Sir Winston’s and Chelsea Chowder House & Bar; and a selection of retail shops. History buffs enjoy the ship’s museum and Behind the Scenes tour, while guests of all ages love the Haunted Encounters tour and special events such as Scottish Festival, Dark Harbor, and concerts that are hosted on or by the ship throughout the year.
The Attractions Manager is responsible for providing support and guidance to crew members and managers as needed on a daily basis. As the Attractions Manager, you’ll be responsible the majority of the administrative tasks related to daily operation of the Attractions Department. The ideal Attractions Manager candidate will have extreme vertical flexibility, equally at home moving from strategic tasks to frontline tactical roles with skill, as well as possess strong communication skills, demonstrate leadership abilities and have a passion for the Queen Mary and her history.
Key responsibilities of the Attractions Manager position include:
- Overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Attractions Department to ensure guest and crew member satisfaction
- Works with crew members to resolve crew member issues
- Ensuring guests’ needs and concerns are responded to in a timely, professional and friendly manner with a focus on service recovery when applicable
- Ensuring that all safety and security policies and procedures are followed
- Maintain department adherence to all Queen Mary Attractions Policies.
- Evaluating work procedures, reviewing standards, identifying methods for increasing efficiency or effectiveness and responding proactively to any needs that have arisen. Works closely with health and welfare benefit providers, coordinating with insurance companies to resolve crew member insurance issues
- Assists crew members and managers with general questions related to HR policies/procedures, including interpretation and clarification of policies and benefit coverage under the plans
- Oversees government regulatory reporting, including 5500 submittals, and serves as a contact for benefit audits
- Reconciles monthly benefits invoices, ensuring accuracy of crew member additions, terminations, and status/payroll changes are correctly applied to the bills; resolves discrepancies with carriers
- Notifies COBRA administrator of qualifying events Works closely with payroll regarding benefits payments
- Acts as the intermediary with the insurance and 401(k) plan administrators for Evolution Hospitality employees
Staff Management, Recruiting, and Training (25% of the time)
- Works with Director of Attractions to ensure that training files are set up and maintained in accordance with company standards and government regulations
- Provides information and assistance to crew members regarding personnel issues, benefits, policies, procedures, timeframes, forms, or other issues; responds to routine questions or issues; initiates problem resolution
- Assists with the department's budget and ensures fiscal responsibility
- Interviewing, hiring, coaching and developing team members
- Hire staff based on company guidelines and all applicable labor laws. Overseeing training for the ship’s tour guides, attendants and Ship’s Officers
- Provides necessary education and materials to crew members including workshops, crew member handbooks and standardized reports
- Training managers about recruiting tools, culture fit, and interview questions
- Identifies coaching trends to recommend training as appropriate
- Evaluating team performance and taking appropriate corrective action as needed to hold team members accountable
- Setting goals, providing ongoing feedback, and rewarding/recognizing team members
- Maintaining an up to date working knowledge and historical knowledge of the Queen Mary
Department Administration (35% of the time)
- Assists Director of Attractions with specialized projects, including research, data compilation, recommendations for action, etc.
- Authorizing requests for personal time off, holidays for team members, schedule changes, overtime, and expenditures
- Communicating pertinent information to team by conducting monthly department meetings and organizing and conducting pre-shift meetings on a consistent basis
- Participating in the monthly forecast of revenues and expenses for the Attraction Department
- Prepare dailies to meet BEO\Special Event needs.
- Ensure staffing levels are adequate for weekly business based on forecast\events.
- Adjust staffing to match business levels\forecast\budget.
- Process PO’s and Maintain Department Checkbook, to ensure proper supplies are on hand
- Schedule Wedding Officiants for BEO\Special Event
Event Planning (15% of the time)
- Maintaining ticket inventories and controls for daily admission and special events
- Assist the Special Event Department and Director of Attraction in determining staffing levels and staffing plans for attractions personnel during special events.
Preferred & Required Experience:
In addition, the ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
- 3 – 5 years of industry experience in a management role preferred
- Experience leading a year round, multi-shift team required
- Experience with scheduling multiple job classes and multiple shifts required
- Experience managing in a union environment preferred
- Experience with computerized ticket sales
- Analytical skills with demonstrated ability to translate data to insight and then into action
- Aptitude to perform numerical analysis of data and formulate conclusions and solutions
- Ability to handle stressful situations in a calm, professional manner and exhibit good judgment
- Must have the ability to communicate clearly and directly with guests using a positive, clear speaking voice
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to get along with diverse personalities, tactful and flexible
- Must have excellent supervisory
- An operational knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to work a varied schedule that includes evenings, nights, and weekends
Headquartered in Orange County, CA, Evolution Hospitality is one of the top privately-owned hotel management companies in the US. Evolution Hospitality has a well-defined vision, a strong sense of values and guiding principles, and a long-range, quality-minded approach to business. From unassuming beginnings with a single property, today Evolution Hospitality is recognized as a first-class operator of hotels.
We are proud to offer candidates a dynamic career, personal growth, a strong tradition of mutual trust, integrity and an opportunity to make an impact on the business. Simply put, it means that it feels a bit different to work here. We are universally driven by our fundamental values and beliefs. At Evolution Hospitality, all associates are selected and evaluated on two criteria equally: results and culture. Honesty and humility are equally important as intellect and ability, and each member of the team embraces the challenge of becoming a better human being, both personally and professionally, as part of the package. Superstars are those individuals that not only create value for the company but also genuinely embrace and live Evolution Hospitality’s unique culture.
Are you ready to evolve? If you are interested in establishing a solid career and taking giant strides in personal growth, Evolution Hospitality is just the family you’re looking for.