QUEEN MARY'S TIMELINE
- THE CREATIVE YEARS
- THE GLAMOUR YEARS
- THE WAR YEARS
- FINAL YEARS AT SEA
- LONG BEACH YEARS
THE QUEEN MARY TIMELINEBuilt in the United Kingdom in the 1930s, the Queen Mary’s rich history includes the Great Depression, World War II, the heyday of transatlantic travel during the late 40’s and 50’s and the eventual decline of ocean liners in the 60’s. Relocated to Long Beach, California in 1967, the Queen Mary is a historic reminder of a bygone era. Reborn as a hotel and attraction, the Queen Mary has become a Southern California historic landmark, offering people an opportunity to step back in time and experience the grand days of ocean liner travel.
THE CREATIVE YEARS - 1929 - 1935
With a desire to replace the Mauretania, Aquitania and Berengaria, the Cunard Line begins to discuss plans to build a new pair of super ocean liners. Undeterred by lofty goals and the Great Depression, the building of the Queen Mary becomes a groundbreaking technological achievement.
THE GLAMOUR YEARS - 1936 - 1943
Unprecedented luxury and forward-thinking technology make the Queen Mary popular with British Royalty, Hollywood celebrities and dignitaries alike, raising the bar for luxury travel and ultimately becoming the grandest ocean liner ever built.
THE WAR YEARS - 1939 - 1946
As England and France declare war on Germany, the Queen Mary’s days as a passenger ocean liner appear over. With her record-breaking speed and size, the Queen Mary is retrofitted to serve as a troopship during World War II. Dubbed, the “Grey Ghost,” the Queen Mary hauled as many as 15,000 men while playing a pivotal role in guiding the allied forces to victory.
THE GOLDEN YEARS - 1949 - 1958
After a 10-month retrofit the Queen Mary returns to her original glory. With her military duty over, the ship reclaims her place as a world-class ocean liner, but a sea of major change is just starting to become evident.
THE FINAL YEARS AT SEA - 1962 - 1966
The 1960s were a decade of major change and with the rise of popularity in air travel; ocean liners were slowly becoming obsolete. The old world luxury and sensibilities of the Queen Mary seemed outdated in a modern world now transfixed on the notion of space exploration.
THE LONG BEACH YEARS - 1967 - PRESENT
Officially retiring from ocean travel, the Queen Mary was moved to sunny Long Beach, California where she would serve as a living landmark, popular attraction, event venue and hotel, exposing a whole new generation of fans to bygone era.
1929 THE SEEDS ARE PLANTED
APRIL 3, 1929
At Cunard Line's annual meeting, Chairman Sir Thomas Royden makes the first official announcement that "the question of new tonnage is one constantly in our minds." The Cunard Line begins plans to design a new pair of super ocean liners to replace the Mauretania, Aquitania and Berengaria on their North Atlantic route.
MAY 28, 1930
Cunard Line announces that John Brown & Company, LTD., of Clydebank, Scotland, had been selected as builder of the new liner.
DECEMBER 1, 1930
First keel plate is laid for job #534 (which was eventually named the Queen Mary) at John Brown Shipyard.
1931 THE GREAT DEPRESSION HITS
JUNE 30, 1931
Work begins on the new Southampton dry dock, to be known as the King George V Graving Dock.
DECEMBER 11, 1931
Work halts on Job #534 because of the Great Depression and an inability to secure further bank loans. The hull plating is 80% completed and the ship stands nine stories high.
JULY 26, 1933
The King George V Graving Dock is officially opened with King George V and Queen Mary steaming into the dry dock aboard the Royal Yacht, Victoria and Albert. The dock is the largest in the world at the time. It is 1,200 feet long, 135 feet wide at its entrance, 59 feet deep, holds 58 million gallons of water, and can hold any ship up to 100,000 tons.
1934 THE MERGER
JANUARY 1, 1934
The effective date for transferring the assets of the Cunard Steamship Company and the White Star Line, to the newly formed Cunard White Star, LTD. Cunard was credited with 62% of the share capital and White Star with 38%.
MARCH 27, 1934
The North Atlantic Shipping Bill is passed. The British Treasury makes advances of £4,500,000 toward the completion of #534, and authority was to be sought to make an advance not to exceed £5,000,000 for a second liner.
APRIL 3, 1934
After 28 months, construction resumes on Job #534.
MAY 11, 1934
Rivals Cunard Line and White Star Line are forced to merge.
SEPTEMBER 26, 1934
Job #534 is launched, and named the Queen Mary by Her Majesty Queen Mary, accompanied by His Majesty King George V. The ship is moved to the nearby fitting out basin.
SEPTEMBER 28, 1934
Installation of boilers begins around this date.
NOVEMBER 6, 1935
Installation of engines and almost all of the heavy machinery is completed. Funnels and both masts are in position.
1936 THE MAIDEN VOYAGE
MARCH 5, 1936
King Edward VIII makes inspection tour of the ship.
March 24, 1936
The Queen Mary departs John Brown Shipyard, steaming down the Clyde River to Gourock, Scotland. The ship goes aground twice despite prior dredging of the river and her shallow draft. Anchor trials and adjustment of the magnetic compasses are made off Gourock. Twenty of the Queen Mary’s lifeboats were left off the ship to save weight. Since they were manufactured in Gourock, the lifeboats were lifted into their davits upon ship's arrival.
MARCH 24 - 26, 1936
Preliminary speed trials are made on the way to Southampton.
MARCH 27 - April 8, 1936
Dry docked in King George V Graving Dock.
APRIL 15 - 19, 1936
Official speed trials are held in the Irish Sea off the Isle of Arran. British Olympic runner Lord Burghley runs one lap (400 yards) in evening dress around the Promenade Deck in under 60 seconds.
MAY 12, 1936
The ship is officially handed over from John Brown Shipyard to Cunard White Star Line at exactly noon.
MAY 25, 1936
King Edward VIII, Her Majesty Queen Mary, the young Princess Elizabeth, the Duke and Duchess of York (soon to be King George VI and Queen Elizabeth), the Duke and Duchess of Kent and the Duchess of Gloucester visit the ship. Queen Mary presents her personal standard to the ship. It was displayed at the head of the main staircase on Promenade Deck and is now located on board the Queen Elizabeth 2.
MAY 27, 1936
The Queen Mary departs Southampton at 4:33 p.m. on her maiden voyage, arriving in Cherbourg, France at 8:47 p.m. and departing at 12:39 a.m. the following morning.
JUNE 1, 1936
Arrival at Pier 90 in New York at 4:20 p.m. Crossing time: 5 days, 5 hours and 13 minutes.
AUGUST 19 - 31, 1936
On her sixth round-trip voyage, the Queen Mary wins the Blue Riband for the fastest North Atlantic crossings from the French Line's Normandie. The Normandie wins the honor back in 1937.
1938 THE WORLD RECORD
OCTOBER 8, 1938
Docked without the aid of tugboats in New York, by Commodore Irving. Voyage #53 West.
AUGUST 3 - 15, 1938
Won the Blue Riband back from the Normandie on her 48th round-trip voyage. The Queen Mary held the record for 14 years, until July 1952, when the SS United States broke the speed record.
AUGUST 30, 1939
Departed Southampton on final peacetime voyage, carrying her largest number of passengers: 2,552, including Mr. & Mrs. Bob Hope and millions in gold bullion.
SEPTEMBER 2, 1939
Crew members black out ship's portholes.
SEPTEMBER 3, 1939
England and France declare war on Germany.
SEPTEMBER 4, 1939
The Queen Mary arrives in New York.
1940 THE BIRTH OF THE GREY GHOST
MARCH 21, 1940
Departs New York for Sydney, Australia, to be fitted as a troopship. Accommodations increased from 2,140 to 5,500.
MAY 5, 1940
First voyage as a troop transport. Sailed in convoy with Aquitania, Mauretania (II), Empress of Britain, Empress of Canada, and Empress of Japan, from Sydney, Australia, to Gourock, Scotland, with 5,500 troops.
AUGUST 5 - SEPTEMBER 16, 1940
Dry docked in Singapore. Paravanes fitted.
DECEMBER 13, 1940
Degaussing strip installed in Sydney.
APRIL 9, 1941
Departs New York for Sydney, Australia, to be fitted as a troopship. Accommodations increased from 2,140 to 5,500.
JANUARY 27 - FEBRUARY 8, 1942
Hull damaged while entering dry dock in Boston Naval Shipyard. Troop capacity increased.
FEBRUARY 18 - MARCH 28, 1942
"40 Days and 40 Nights" voyage from Boston to Sydney, Australia. First time the Queen Mary carried American troops (8,398 troops, 905 crew).
MAY 11 - 16, 1942
First time more than 10,000 persons had traveled on any ship (9,880 troops, 875 crew).
AUGUST 2 - 7, 1942
First time a complete division was carried on any ship. First Armored Infantry Division (15,125 troops, 863 crew).
OCTOBER 2, 1942
The Queen Mary collides with British light cruiser Curacoa. Seventy tons of cement are used to temporarily patch the bow in Gourock, Scotland.
OCTOBER 14 - NOVEMBER 2, 1942
Dry docked in Boston Naval Shipyard to install a new more permanent bow piece.
DECEMBER 23, 1942- APRIL 22, 1943
"The Long Voyage" from Gourock, to the Suez, Sydney, Australia, and return to Gourock. Total mileage: 37,943 miles. Ship transferred to Atlantic Ocean.
MAY 5 - 11, 1943
Winston Churchill transported from Gourock to New York, to meet with President Roosevelt. 5,000 German prisoners of war were also on board.
JULY 25 - 30, 1943
Carried the greatest number of people on a floating vessel: 15,740 troops, 943 crew. Total: 16,683.
AUGUST 5 - 9, 1943
Winston Churchill transported from Gourock to Halifax, Canada, for 2nd Quebec "Quadrant" conference.
AUGUST 27 - 31, 1943
Winston Churchill returns to Gourock, Scotland, with 15,116 troops.
JUNE 6, 1944
D-DAY Invasion of Europe.
1945 THE WAR NEARS AN END
APRIL 19, 1945
Armament removed from ship, except the six-inch gun.
MAY 7, 1945
VE DAY (Victory Europe)
14,833 troops and 1,000 crew transported. Total: 15,883.
AUGUST 29, 1945
Funnels repainted in Cunard colors.
FEBRUARY 3 - May 19, 1946
Six war-bride voyages, transporting 12,886 European brides and children to the United States and Canada.
MAY 23 - September 18, 1946
Seven war-bride voyages transporting European brides and children to Canada. Ten stowaways were discovered on the first crossing.
FEBRUARY 10, 1946
Docked in New York without the aid of tugs.
1962 The Beginning of the End
MARCH 3 - 9, 1962
Wave floods parts of Main, A and B Decks. Voyage #382 East.
OCTOBER 2, 1962
Docked without the aid of tugs in New York, by Captain Watts. Voyage #397 West.
OCTOBER 1, 1963
Docked without tugs in New York, by Captain S.A. Jones. Voyage #419.
DECEMBER 23 - 29, 1963
First cruise: Southampton to Las Palmas. Voyage #425.
FEBRUARY 25 - MARCH 23, 1966
Mediterranean cruise: New York, Las Palmas, Tangier, Piraeus, Naples, Cannes, Palma, Gibraltar, Lisbon, Madeira, New York. Voyage #477.
Cunard announces that the Queen Mary is for sale.
MAY 31, 1966
First letter of inquiry from H.E. Ridings of Long Beach.
AUGUST 2 - 4, 1966
In King George V Graving Dock. Fastest ever turn - around in dry dock, and first time ever sailed with passengers from dry dock. Voyage #485 West.
AUGUST 24 - 29, 1966
Fastest eastbound crossing since Blue Riband record: 4 days, 10 hours, 6 minutes. Voyage #486 East. Second fastest Atlantic crossing since 1938.
1954 - by ship: 1,000,000; by air: 600,000
1957 - by ship: 1,000,000; by air: 1,000,000
1961 - by ship: 750,000; by air: 2,000,000
1965 - by ship: 650,000; by air: 4,000,000
MAY 8, 1967
Queen's captains open orders telling them of the decision to sell the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth.
MAY 25, 1967
First meeting between Lord Mancroft and Long Beach, California representatives in New York.
JULY 27, 1967
$3.45 million Long Beach bid accepted.
SEPTEMBER 22 - 27, 1967
Last Eastbound transatlantic crossing. Voyage #513 East.
SEPTEMBER 29 - OCTOBER 6, 1967
Cruise from Southampton to Las Palmas & Gibraltar. Voyage #514.
OCTOBER 13 - 19, 1967
Cruise from Southampton to Las Palmas. Voyage #515.
OCTOBER 31, 1967
Departed Southampton on Final Voyage to Long Beach, California. Voyage #516.
DECEMBER 9, 1967
The Queen Mary arrives in Long Beach, California.
DECEMBER 11, 1967
Removed from British registry and officially turned over to the City of Long Beach. Ship also became fully dependent on shore-side utilities.
APRIL 6 - MAY 18, 1968
Dry docked at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard.
FEBRUARY 27, 1971
The Queen Mary moved to Pier J.
MAY 8, 1971
Queen Mary Story and Power Train Tour, and Upper Decks opened, weekends only.
DECEMBER 11, 1971
Jacques Cousteau's "Living Sea" portion of Museum of the Sea (M.O.T.S.) opens.
FEBRUARY 20, 1972
Largest day's attendance: 19,600.
NOVEMBER 2, 1972
First 150 hotel rooms opened.
Preview opening of Mary's Gate Village (now The Queen's Marketplace).
OCTOBER 1, 1976
Queen Mary Tours Inc. takes over operation of Museum of the Sea.
SEPTEMBER 1, 1980
Wrather Port Properties Ltd., a subsidiary of Wrather Corporation, signs a 66-year lease to manage the Queen Mary and adjoining acreage.
MAY 14, 1983
Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose flying boat opens to the public next to the Queen Mary.
MARCH 29, 1988
Walt Disney Company buys Wrather Corporation for $152 million. The agreement includes the Disneyland Hotel, and management of the Queen Mary and Spruce Goose property.
JANUARY 1, 1992
City of Long Beach resumes responsibility for the Queen Mary from the Port of Long Beach.
Aero Club of Southern California announces sale of Spruce Goose to Evergreen International Aviation Inc. in McMinnville, Oregon.
MARCH 6, 1992
Disney advises the City and Port of Long Beach that it will end its lease for the operation of the Queen Mary and Spruce Goose. The company agrees to operate the attraction until September 30, 1992.
SEPTEMBER 30, 1992
Walt Disney Company gives up lease on the Queen Mary and Spruce Goose property. Remainder of 1992, The Port of Long Beach becomes operator of property, and looks for new operator. Hotel Queen Mary closes.
OCTOBER 2, 1992
Spruce Goose is moved out of The Dome and put on barges headed to McMinnville, Oregon, having been sold to Evergreen International Aviation Inc.
DECEMBER 31, 1992
The Queen Mary closes.
FEBRUARY 5, 1993
Joseph F. Prevratil, President & CEO of RMS Foundation, Inc. signs five-year lease with the city of Long Beach to act as operators of the Queen Mary.
FEBRUARY 26, 1993
The Queen Mary reopens to the public. Self-guided and guided "Captain's Tour" resume. Most restaurants and Sunday Brunch are back.
MARCH 5, 1993
Hotel Queen Mary reopens with 125 rooms operational. Banquet rooms are operational.
APRIL 17, 1993
Audio tours begin again in English, German, Japanese and Spanish.
APRIL 30, 1993
Remainder of Hotel Queen Mary's 365 rooms reopen.
MAY 12, 1993
Captain John Treasure Jones, the 33rd and last captain of the Queen Mary dies at the age of 87 at his home in Chandler's Ford, England, just north of the port town of Southampton.
SEPTEMBER 26, 1994
Diamond Jubilee Celebration of the 60th Anniversary of the Launch and Naming of the great liner. Officiating are RMS Foundation President Joseph F. Prevratil; H.R.H. Prince Michael of Kent representing the British Royal Family, grandson of Her Majesty Queen Mary; Scotland's Clydebank District Provost Jack McAllister and other special guests.
MAY 8, 1996
The Queen Mary celebrates the 25th Anniversary of its Opening Day
MAY 27, 1996
RMS Foundation, Inc., schedules Diamond Jubilee Celebration for the 60th Anniversary of the Queen Mary’s Maiden Voyage from Southampton to New York.
MAY 31, 1997
"Titanic: The Expedition" exhibit makes its West Coast debut aboard the Queen Mary.
December 9, 1997
The Queen Mary celebrates 30 years in Long Beach.
FEBRUARY 23, 2006
Two Cunard legends meet for the first time. The new Queen Mary 2 sailed into the port of Long Beach and greeted her historic namesake, the original Queen Mary. The two ships saluted each other with their one-ton signaling horns.
OCTOBER 28, 2007
The Queen Mary’s amateur radio station (W6RO) is renamed the Nate Brightman Radio Room in honor of Mr. Brightman’s more than 40 years of dedication to the station.
DECEMBER 9, 2007
The Queen Mary celebrates 40 years in Long Beach.
The Queen Mary celebrates her 75-year anniversary of the Maiden Voyage.
Diana: A Legacy of a Prince Royal Exhibit premieres at the Queen Mary.