Director of Sales: Queen Mary
About the Queen Mary
Located in the Port of Long Beach, the Queen Mary features a rich maritime history, authentic Art Deco décor, and stunning views of the Pacific Ocean and Long Beach city skyline. At the time of her maiden voyage in May of 1936, she was considered the grandest ocean liner ever built. Today the Queen Mary is one of Los Angeles’ major attractions, drawing visitors from around the world. The Queen Mary boasts 346 staterooms spanning three decks including nine full suites which have hosted a variety of colorful characters from World War II leaders to British royalty and the stars of Hollywood’s golden era. The ship also features 80,000 square feet of event space in 17 remarkable Art Deco salons as well as a tri-level, 45,000-square-foot Exhibit Hall; signature restaurants including the award-winning Sir Winston’s and Chelsea Chowder House & Bar; and a selection of retail shops. History buffs enjoy the ship’s museum and Behind the Scenes tour, while guests of all ages love the Ghosts and Legends tour and special events such as Scottish Festival, Dark Harbor, CHILL, and concerts that are hosted on or by the ship throughout the year.
We are currently looking for a highly motivated, determined, well-spoken and experienced Director of Sales who understands the meaning of “hunting” to proudly sell the Queen Mary.
As a Director of Sales you’ll be responsible for executing sales strategies in order to maximize hotel profitability while maintaining customer satisfaction.
The candidate selected for the DOS position will work under the direction of the Queen Mary Managing Director and with Evolution Hospitality, one of the top privately owned hotel management companies in the United States.
Key responsibilities of the Sales Manager include:
- Achieving or exceeding individual and team sales goals and hotel budgets
- Developing and implementing effective sales strategies to maximize revenue generation
- Creating and managing Annual Strategic Plan
- Managing lead sources to ensure quantity and quality of leads
- Working closely with the Business Development team to develop lead generation strategies for the Business Development group
- Seeking new customers through strategic outbound sales efforts for group, extended stay group and transient room revenue
- Conducting sales calls to key accounts or major prospects
- Monitoring sales activities/performance to ensure revenue goals meet or exceed established plan and accurately reporting variance/projections to management
- Weighing the value of each piece of business against hotel and Evolution Hospitality objectives
- Using corporate Revenue Management resources to help make informed decisions and maximize revenue
- Developing and maintaining positive relationships with peers, competitors and brand partners
- Adjusting strategy based on competitive market and market segment knowledge
- Ensuring that the property is maximizing the use of all company, brand and local CVB programs
- Recruiting the best possible sales team and reducing turnover through coaching, counseling and training
- Providing support and coaching for team members to drive high levels of performance, job satisfaction, and personal growth
- Training and empowering sales team members to exercise good judgment to make profitable business decisions
- Ensuring that the hotel sales team is effectively using the Sales Tools available
The ideal Director of Sales candidate will have a minimum of three (3) years of experience as a Director of Sales (DOS), equivalent with a proven track record of success. If you have high performance standards, a high level of enthusiasm and thrive in a fast-paced team environment then you just might be the candidate that we’re looking for!
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
- Must have a minimum of 3 years’ experience as a Director of Sales in a full service and/or compact full service hotel
- Experience overseeing group and catering a must
- Extensive knowledge of forecasting sales and interpreting/analyzing results to plan and conducting budgetary analysis
- Extensive knowledge of sales skills, revenue management, recruiting, supervising, training and motivating managers
- Demonstrated ability to understand customer requirements and translating these into sales solutions
- Track record of leading and inspiring teams to meet or exceed sales goals
- Ability to be assertive and persuasive without being aggressive
- Excellent communicator with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Track record of developing long term relationships and contacts
- Ability to quickly evaluate alternatives and decide on a plan of action
- Strong organizational skills including follow up, time management, ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel and DELPHI
An Equal Opportunity Employer