Assistant Guest Services Manager: Queen Mary
We are currently looking for an Assistant Guest Services Manager to support and lead the guest services team at the legendary Queen Mary. Located in the Port of Long Beach, the Queen Mary features a rich maritime history, authentic Art Deco décor, and stunning views of the Pacific Ocean and Long Beach city skyline. At the time of her maiden voyage in May of 1936, she was considered the grandest ocean liner ever built. Today the Queen Mary is one of Los Angeles’ major attractions, drawing visitors from around the world. The Queen Mary boasts 346 staterooms spanning three decks including nine full suites which have hosted a variety of colorful characters from World War II leaders to British royalty and the stars of Hollywood’s golden era. The ship also features 80,000 square feet of event space in 17 remarkable Art Deco salons as well as a tri-level, 45,000-square-foot Exhibit Hall; signature restaurants including the award-winning Sir Winston’s and Chelsea Chowder House & Bar; and a selection of retail shops. History buffs enjoy the ship’s museum and Behind the Scenes tour, while guests of all ages love the Ghosts and Legends tour and special events such as Scottish Festival, Dark Harbor, and concerts that are hosted on or by the ship throughout the year.
As an Assistant Guest Services Manager, you’ll be responsible for supporting the Guest Services Management team in the daily operation of the Guest Service functions to include front desk operations, bellman/valet, guest services and parking operations. In addition, this position will be responsible for providing support and direction to the Guest Services Crew Members including training, supervising and monitoring service delivery.
Key responsibilities of an Assistant Guest Services Manager include:
- Supervising and directing the activities of the guest services team members to ensure that all team members are delivering prompt, efficient and friendly service in a professional manner
- Assisting Guest Services team members with performing job duties as necessary
- Maintaining presence and support at areas needing the most support/assistance during peak periods
- Working quickly and independently to resolve operational and/or guest issues when necessary, ensuring proper follow through with appropriate manager(s)
- Ensuring guests’ needs and concerns are responded to in a timely, professional and friendly manner with a focus on service recovery when applicable
- Ensuring that all safety and security policies and procedures are followed
- Providing ongoing feedback, and rewarding/recognizing team members
- Training and developing team members
- Assisting with preparing and adjusting weekly work schedules in accordance with staffing guidelines and labor forecasts
- Authorizing requests for personal time off, holidays for team members, schedule changes, overtime, and expenditures
- Maintaining an efficient system of communication between the Front Office and other departments, with particular attention to guest arrivals and departures
- Monitoring and maintaining the front office systems and equipment to ensure their optimum performance
- Coordinating all billing requirements for individuals and groups in house as per reservation requirements
- Proactively planning to ensure departments are prepared based on awareness of future and current business at the property
- Actively encouraging team members to maximize sales through up-selling, using incentives, promotions, etc.
- Assisting with adequate resource planning on a weekly basis and completing payroll on Company Time Management and Payroll System
- Assisting with the monitor and control of all Guest Services Supplies
The ideal Assistant Guest Services Manager candidate will possess strong communication skills, a clear understanding of guest service in a hotel environment and demonstrate leadership abilities.:
- Minimum of three years front desk experience in a hotel property of similar size and quality
- Minimum of one year of experience as a front office supervisor.
- Must be highly organized, results oriented with the ability to be flexible and work well under pressure in a fast-paced changing environment
- Ability to handle stressful situations in a calm, professional manner and exhibit good judgment
- Must have the ability to communicate clearly and directly with guests using a positive, clear speaking voice
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to get along with diverse personalities, tactful and flexible
- Must have excellent supervisory and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work a varied schedule that may include evenings, nights, and weekends
An Equal Opportunity Employer